Thursday, January 10, 2008

Our new baby, installment #6

Despite the pressure, we made an appointment to speak with another midwife. When she gave us directions to her home office, she described her house as being the color of a clay pot. Her office, actually a detached cottage-like space, was comfortable and welcoming. There was a bowl of cherries between the plush chairs where she told my husband and me to sit. She pulled up a stool and told me to put up my feet. As she answered our questions -- all the tedious ones that I now grow impatient at answering, I gazed out the backdoor, which was slightly ajar. This being summer, I could see birds and bees keeping busy in the garden. Inside, on the wall, along with some artful birth photos and oil paintings, was a neon sign that read "open." I appreciated the metaphor. We took a contract home.

9 comments:

mom said...

Since there wasn't much discussion during this time about your decision to have a home birth (way too emotional for dad and me) could you please put Harrison down for a couple of minutes and give us more information? I'm on the edge of my seat.

Tina Cassidy said...

Well, mom, first why don't you explain why everyone was so emotional?

Unknown said...

Everyone was very emotional because you had a very bad experience with your first birth - more like an assault - and I personally have a "what if" thought process. So, what if the baby gets stuck again? What if you have a uterine rupture during your home VBAC and on and on. Especially because you live in the medical mecca of the world, I would have expected that you would have used every resource to make sure that it didn't happen again. Only, not with a Midwife and not at home. If I didn't tell you my concerns and something happened to hurt you or the baby would I ever forgive myself? Very emotional for us to discuss these things so we cry and shut down. That's just what we do!

Natalie said...

Where is Friday's installment!!!!!!!!!

Poor mamas- both of you wanting to protect your babies.

Did you read Nov's Vogue about the "what if" factor in home birth?
Its in the article titled- mother knows best

vanester said...

I am not mentioning my homebirth plans to my family. I am pretty sure they would all freak out. I had a traumatic emergency c/s with my first, a fairly effortless VBAC with my second (walked into the hospital between pushes, thought it was going to be a car birth), and we are planning a homebirth with our third. I wish I could be more honest with my family, but the subject of birth (much less homebirth) is such a touchy subject I feel like I can't.

vanester said...

Oh, and I am really enjoying reading your blog :-). I am looking forward to future installments.

Amanda said...

I don't think my family would react too well either, and as I mentioned in the last post, my husband and I simply didn't feel it was right for us.

Anonymous said...

WoW nice blog buddy!Actually WoW is my favorite appreciation keyword. I also like to play. Wow Gold. I was looking for info regarding that and saw your website. Its nice and very interesting.

goldsoon said...

Wow,its a nice blog