Saturday, January 05, 2008

Our new baby

Installment #1. I've sort of been keeping a secret -- a cyber secret, anyway, because it was obvious by looking at me --that I was pregnant over these nine (10?) long months, culminating in the birth of a gorgeous boy five minutes past midnight on Dec. 8. The delay in posting since then has more to do with the avalanche of work and sleeplessness that a newborn brings than my desire to withhold the information about Harrison's arrival. In fact, I have a lot to say about this most recent birth. Including where and how it happened. But I think I will serialize the story on my blog, starting today.

After writing a book about the history of childbirth, processing the unexpected cesarean birth of my first son, born 4 years ago, and hearing from some hard-core readers pick apart my book for not being forcefully anti-hospital or decidedly pro-natural enough for their taste, you might imagine how difficult it would be to discuss the pregnancy and birth and my choices as they were happening.

Well, when we found out I was pregnant, my first stop was not at the office of my former OB. I knew enough that five minute office visits, curt answers to my questions and the rash of tests they throw at you without even fully explaining them was not how I wanted to proceed. I wanted to slow down. Be seen by someone whose was not afraid of being sued, who accepted the idea that a vaginal birth after a cesarean was not just OK, but a good move. I decided to see a very well respected midwifery practice at a smaller local hospital that supports VBAC. (No way will I ever go back to one of Boston's enormous teaching hospitals unless I am in cardiac arrest, need an organ transplant or have cancer.)

Anyway, the midwife I saw was delightful. She asked about my previous birth and I burst into tears. She said she understood. When we talked about VBAC, she was encouraging, and when it was time to leave she handed me a red folder with all of the hospital's obstetrical practices explained. I asked about electronic fetal monitoring, and whether they offered it intermittently. She looked me in the eye, said they had always offered EFM intermittently, giving the mom the ability to get up and move around during labor, but that practice had just been ceased weeks before.

"You can sign a form saying you do not want continuous monitoring," she said.

I was devastated. I intuitively knew that being flat on my back, hooked up to an epidural and an EFM for hours had doomed my ability to give birth vaginally with my first son. And if I chose to go to this hospital, I would walk in having to fight against standard procedure.

My husband and I had to make a decision about what to do.

In installment #2, what happens next.

13 comments:

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh, I can not wait to hear! Congrats to you!!! I love the name!

Steph

Becky said...

How exciting :) I can't wait to read more of your "report"!!!!!

~Becky

Enjoy Birth said...

I look forward to reading about your journey. I understand your reluctance to write about it as you traveled along the path. But how wonderful you are willing to share it with us now!

SheGotHipsLikeCinderella said...

on the edge of my seat...

Unknown said...

Hi Tina,
I am a childbirth educator in NYC and a big fan of your book. I've also had a VBAC myself. I can understand your hesitance: judgment comes from all corners, unfortunately. But I'm looking forward to reading what happens next, whatever it might be!

Rixa said...

I am anxious to continue reading your birth journey!

Unknown said...

I am reading your book right now and absolutely love it. I've just decided to become a doula and am devouring as much birth info as I can. Thank you for this amazing book.

Congratulations on the birth of Harrison, I look forward to reading all about it.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for information regarding Wow Gold and searched in Google.Some how I landed in your Blog. And found interesting. Yours is a nice Blog with very good content!

Anonymous said...

WoW nice blog buddy!Actually WoW is my favorite appreciation keyword. I also like to play. Wow Gold. I was looking for info regarding that and saw your website. Its nice and very interesting.

Anonymous said...

It is rather interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

goldsoon said...

Wow, its a great post

Anonymous said...

By the way, buy GPS blocker to block all spy transmitters in your room or at work.

buy Aion Kinah said...

Nice blog